Sunday, February 7, 2010

First Herding Lesson and A Sunny Afternoon

This morning I had my first real lesson on sheep. I don't have any pictures because it was early and foggy. But we had a great time! I got to go in the round pen again with J two times. Then J said the Duke and Duchess needed their lesson. You should have been there, I'm telling you! The Duke decided to be the handler, so the Duchess ended up being the Border Collie. They had to go in the big area and move the sheep as if they were a team. Bwaaaahahahahaha!!!!!! It was pretty funny. The Duchess is not nearly as attractive as a Border Collie. There is nothing black & white and svelte about her. But she was a good sport and "herded" those sheep all over the place. Actually, she never could get them to go exactly where they were supposed to, so she failed as a sheep dog. She also needs some obedience training because she completely ignored her handler! But the fact that she got in there and gave it her all is something to be proud of! Oh yeah, and she didn't bite them either :) We go back in two weeks for our next lesson.

After we got home the sun came out
and we spent hours outside just soaking it up.


I can lay in the sun for hours.
Higgins thinks sunshine is good ball-playing weather.


He ran and ran and ran.
I think he will sleep good tonight.



Sir Bear always enjoys the sunshine too.
It must make his old bones feel good.



There were lot's of new smells.







And lot's of new sounds to listen for.



I let the others play while I soaked up the glorious rays!


Higgins, however, only had one thing on his mind.



" MUST"


"STAY"


"FOCUSED!"



I hope you had some sunshine today too.
If you are really lucky you had snow with it!
Kisses,

20 comments:

  1. That sounds like fun! You should take a video of you herding sheep! How cool is that!
    Have a great week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like furry fun to me.
    Woofs and wags,
    sitka

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's funny, Duchess! Can't for the next lesson. Emma, you are a tough master!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures! Emma Rose looks so pretty in the sun and Mr. Higgins eyes are as big as saucers for that ball! And Sir Bear looked like he was having a wonderful time sniffing around. What a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes!

    Snow!
    Sun!!
    Snow!!!

    It was pawesome!

    Thank woo fur sharing those great pikhs of your day!

    Hugz&Khysses,
    Khyra

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still dreaming about being able to get back out in the sunshine! I envy you!

    Bunny

    ReplyDelete
  7. The lesson sounds so interesting and you all had so much fun there. Yeah!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Psst.. Emma Rose, it's me, Hershey! I just want to tell you that I agree 200% that we Border Collies are 'black & white and svelte'.. you can also add in intelligent, charming, hardworking... (list goes on and on..)

    Hmmm.. it'd be nice to nip at some sheeps, but mom says it's a 'no no'... bummer..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing like a nice sunny afternoon to lift the spirits

    ReplyDelete
  10. lovely story and some great pictuters.
    bye bye,Lean.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like a wonderful day!! Sure looks like everyone was having fun in the sun. I think it's funny that The Duchess was trying to herd the sheep and you are right...she's not a Border Collie!! Great pictures! Lots of love, Debbie and Hollydog

    ReplyDelete
  12. What lovely photos Emma. That herding sure does sound like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. FANTASTIC! I am so glad she got you both out there! What did the Duke think? I can just see you two out there moving the sheep around. LOL Dyan you are going to love this...it would be awesome of the Duke had as much fun as you, because you have young higgens growing up he will need a handler - then you can join us on the sheep dog trial circut - who cares if you never get above novice novice - it is the people who are the greatest. So much fun! Okay, time to quit rambling...email me I want to know more about the instructor! Thanks!

    -Carolynn

    ReplyDelete
  14. We would love to see a video of you herding - it sounds like so much fun.

    We have no sun today, it is snowing, but it just seems to be mostly melting when it hits the ground. Not our kind of snowstorm for sure.

    Woos, Phantom and Thunder

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh your Duchess is bound to get better with practice! I am glad she didn't bite any sheep..LOL! Mr Higgens sure looks like a ball player..I recognize that stare..very focused! My best to the handsome Sir Bear! Kisses from Chance..no sunshine only snow and lots of it:(

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Emma, I have a confession to make. I am quite smitten with your beauty. I stared at the photos of you sunbathing and I must tell you that you are quite lovely! Gramma and Papa used to have a collie named Sarge. Gramma said that he was one handsome fellow. She gets sad sometimes when she talks about missing him. She holds me and I give her a big hug. That makes her smile and she tells me that she can't believe how much she loves me, since I am such a homely little fellow. Is homely kind of like handsome? Do you like homely dogs?

    Your homely friend, Wall-E

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great day you had!!! The hearding sounded really fun, although I don't think I would be any good at it, would just want to PLAY! That Mr. Higgins! What a PuPPPPPYYYYY!
    Loved the soakin' in the sun. We need some of that down here...too much FOG!

    Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
    Sierra Rose

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like it was a fantastic day! Lots of sun and fun! Thanks for the sunshine wishes too. But seems we are getting hit with yet another snowstorm, 18" predicted. I think Josie will enjoy playing in the snow. daddy will get the snow blower out and mommy will have the camera. Thanks for the wonderful pictures. Love you Emma Rose. Much LOVE. Woof soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Let's see that video!

    And happy Valentines day! ♥

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear from you! We have had to disable Anonymous comments because of spam. We're sorry for the inconvenience.

Related Posts with Thumbnails